An exhibition of work by stained glass artist, Sue Thorne. All of the work shown is for sale. Please scroll down to view.
Nature and the landscape of the Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains never fails to inspire me.
A walk in the National Park provides me with much to work with. Not least the mountain landscape, but looking and listening I hear the skylarks and see the red kites soaring in the sky. Closer to home I see garden birds, insects and plant life. Nature knows no bounds.
Once back in my garden studio I use these images to either paint on glass or make fused pictures with coloured glass or a combination of the two techniques.
I use Vitreous paint, which I mix with lavender oil. It is a traditional material used by artists from medieval times. I manipulate the paint with natural haired brushes while it is still wet. This allows me to work with texture and tone to create my image. When dry, fine detail is scratched into the surface with a needle. The glass is then fired in the kiln to fix the image. Fusing is where two layers of glass are melted together as one.
Glass art will never wear away or fade with the light, making it a perfect medium to display in a sunny place. My work will sparkle keeping the magic of the hills fresh and alive.
Please get in touch if you have any queries or if you'd like to purchase a piece of my work.
1.Glass Painted Dipper. Approx 100mm x 220mm £48 SOLD
2. Glass Painted Long Tailed Tits. Approx. 100mm x 220mm £48 SOLD
3. Glass Painted Poppies. Approx 100mm x 220mm £48 SOLD
4. Glass Painted Wagtail with Tor y Foel behind. £48 SOLD
5. Glass Painted Woodpecker Approx. 100mm x 220mm £48
6. Glass painted Wren with a bee. Approx. 100mm x 220mm £48 SOLD
7. Glass Painted Wren on brambles. Approx. 100mm x 220mm £48 SOLD
8. Pen y Fan and a Wren. Approx. 220mm x 220mm can be hung or stands provided. £150
9. Swan. Approx. 280mm x 210mm can be hung or stands provided. £150
10. Nuthatch. Approx. 210mm x 290mm can be hung or stands provided. £150
11. Carreg Duon with Camarthen Fan behind. Still to be framed in oak. Approx 450mm x 450mm with frame. £480
12. Llyn y Fan. Approx. 480mm x380mm available at Erwood Station Gallery by arrangement. £480
13. Pen y Fan in the gloaming. Free standing curve. Approx. 300mm x 120mm £120
14. Pink light over Snowy Pen y Fan. Free standing curve. Approx 300mm x 120mm. £120
15. Skirrid. Free standing curve. Approx 320mm x 150mm. £120
16. Carreg Duon, 'Postcard' Approx. 210mm x 120mm £90
17. Sugar Loaf 'Postcard' Approx 220mm x 120mm £90
18. Autumnal Tree in oak frame. Approx 300mmx 350mm £240
19. Silver birch trees on stand. Approx 220mm x 230mm £110
20. Blue Tit with Tor y Foel behind. Approx. 170mm x 260mm Can be hung or stands provided. £150